SA Country Fire Service Promotions Unit - History Section
- ? to Present
1942 Chevrolet. (sa207-069) Built by H Gierke, Cherington garage, Mt Barker. The appliance was fitted out with a PTO pump coupled to a Ronaldson Tippett single stage centrifugal pump and a water capacity of 450 gallons. This vehicle was acquired from a wood yard and was an ex lend lease vehicle. Built in 1945 especially for the Nairne fire Brigade, it served as the towns' main defense for 15 years. The vehicle saw action almost constantly for 15 years when we used to average a fire every 24 hours when the steam trains were running back and forth on the Adelaide to Melbourne line.
1952 Commer. (sa213-651) Built by members and had a 525 gallon tank and a 3 stage centrifugal pump, coupled to a Willys Jeep engine. Purchased in 1959 for £350 from the Department of Supply, and was formerly a RAAF fire appliance. Later sold to Edithburg CFS in 1966.
LandRover. ( ) Details unknown but was acquired from A J Bennet in 1956 for £790. It was sold to the Mount Pleasant District Council in 1967 for £400.
1964 Landrover Utility. (sa599-693) Built up by members at George Chapman Pty Ltd for a cost of $1000. The appliance has a water capacity of 90 gallons. Commissioned in 1966 by the Director of the EFS. Sold to the District Council of Ridley in 1983 for $1900.
1972 C1300 International van. (RTV-319) Built by brigade members from a former Highways Department maintenance van. This appliance did not carry water, but was coupled to a Jupiter trailer pump. Purchased for $2500, and with a further $2500 spent to fit out, was commissioned on March 19th, 1982 by the Director of CFS, Lloyd Johns. Transferred to Meadows brigade in for use as a Rescue appliance. This appliance was specifically designed to protect homes and property in the township. It was fitted with Breathing Apparatus, rescue equipment, extension ladders and canvas hoses.
Jupiter Fire Fighting Trailer . Fitted with a pump capable of 640 gallons per minute was purchased from the South Australian Police in 1959 for £10. This trailer is still in use by the brigade.
1975 International Acco 1710/A. (SNW-199) Built by P A Wotton and acquired for a price of $14,000. Fitted with a 640-gallon tank and a Grandfos pump, which was updated to a Darley pump and Winconsin motor. Commissioned in 1976 by F L Kerr, State Director of the EFS. Decommissioned in 1994 after 18 years service and stripped down and sold for $7600. Mount Barker District Council contributed $5000 towards the cost with the balance raised by brigade members.
Ford F350. (UBE-507) Built by Carey Gully Engineering Pty Ltd in 1983 and commissioned on January 22nd, 1984 by Deputy Chairman of the CFS board and Regional Supervisor Ray Orr. With a 900-litre water capacity and a Winconsin motor coupled to a Darley pump. This appliance was stripped down in 1996 and sold for $.00.
1991 Hino. (VFZ-165) Type 34 Rural. Built by the Victorian Country Fire Authority (CFA) and fitted with a 3000 litre tank, GAAM pump and Hatz engine. Purchased from CFS Headquarters for $100,000 and commissioned by J Harrison. Transferred to the Mount Barker brigade in 1993.
1994 Hino. (VOE-773}Type 34 Urban / Rural Special. Built by the Victorian Country Fire Authority (CFA) and fitted with a 3000 litre tank, GAAM pump and Hatz engine. Purchased from CFS Headquarters for $135,000, and was not commissioned.
1997 Hino. (VOE-773) Type 24 Urban / Rural Special. Built by Moore Engineering, Murray Bridge, and is fitted with a 2000 litre tank, GAAM pump and Hatz engine. Transferred from the Mount Barker Brigade in 1998 and refitted to a type 24 Rural shortly after.
This information has been sourced from the Brigade
This Information was provided by the
SACFS Promotions Unit