SA Country Fire Service Promotions Unit - History Section
- 1939 to Present
On the 11th December 1939 a meeting of landowners decided to form a fire fighting unit under the name of Compton Gambier West Fire Fighting Unit.
Landowners donated the following equipment - 3 tanks, 2 knapsacks and 3 trucks to transport all the gear to a fire. One unit was located at the Gambier West Cheese Factory and the other was located at one of the members residences.
In 1948 the first power pump was bought for the brigade - a Cooper complete with hoses.
In 1954 the name "Compton Gambier West" was painted on the tank and a "Firemaster" fire fighting unit was purchased along with a 340 gallon tank and a 30ft length of hose.
In 1958 a Morris 4 x4 truck was purchased and the tray and equipment was installed by members of the brigade.
In 1959 a communication radio was placed in the fire unit.
In 1977 an International AB160 4x4 truck was purchased to replace the Morris 4x4 Unit.
In 1978 a new shed was built near the Compton hall to house the new truck.
In 1979 a 10hp Davey pump was bought and fitted to the fire unit.
This information has been sourced from the Brigade website at this address
This Information was provided by the
SACFS Promotions Unit