SA Country Fire Service Promotions Unit - History Section
Cherry Gardens Brigade
- 1934 to Present
Another major social event was the emergence of the Cherry Gardens Monthly Dances. These old style dances had their beginning in the Rechabite Hall under the leadership of Mr C.G. Terrell with Mr L.M. Jones playing piano. The dances became so successful during the 1960's and 70's that proceeds from these events were largely responsible for clearing the mortgage on the Memorial Hall, as well as the erection of other amenities. Part of the dance proceeds were also channelled to the local emergency fire services and sporting and social bodies.
The most recent addition to the public facilities is the new Cherry Gardens Fire Station. This was funded and erected by the Commonwealth Employment Program with assistance from the Happy Valley Council, and was opened by The Hon. Jack Wright M.P. in 1984. The district has been served faithfully and well by volunteer fire fighters since the unit was first established in 1934.
Cherry Gardens 14 late 1980's - early 1990's - Holden 4WD Rodeo quick-attack vehicle
500L water capacity found to be too small for our area, & vehicle transferred to Happy Valley CFS.
old 14 rear (Photos - R. Edwards?)
Cherry Gardens 34 - ? - Nov. 1998
This Woods & Forests RFW Tanker was lent to the brigade from approx 1993 to 1998. While its 3000L water capacity & spacious cab were popular, its bulk was not. Nor was its chronic unreliability or poor off-road ability in our steep terrain. The "Battlestar" was returned to SA Primary Industries Dept. in Nov '98.
Photo: S. Schueler
RFW tight squeeze into shed
Photo - J. Coppi
Cherry Gardens Air Support
1997 LandRover Defender with Equipment Trailer. 6cyl turbo Diesel
The Landy had excellent off-road ability, but suffered from an unresolved and seemingly untraceable electrical problem. Its unusual ergonomics also invited mixed reactions. Some loved it, some hated it.
Landy/Trailer combo was replaced by our present Mitsubishi Canter in December 1999.
Cherry Gardens 14 - Nov 1998 - Jan 2003
CG14 in its original livery, as supplied by Skilled. Replaced with the red & yellow checquer in October 2000. The Canter was a very nimble & capable little truck & well liked by drivers. But the cabin was a bit squeezy for fire-fighters to don PPE easily.
CG14 was transferred to Belair CFS in Jan 2003 and so remains within Sturt Group.
Cherry Gardens 34 - Nov. 2002 - ?
in original NSW RFS colours as Heathcote 1081
This information has been sourced from the Brigade website at this address and the Cherry Chatter Newsletter
This Information was provided by the
SACFS Promotions Unit